Activity 3 – CLO 6
Please analyze the following scenario by incorporating your learning from Chapters 9 & 10 of your textbook and answer the question:
– Coca-Cola and PepsiCo are the leading competitors in the market for cola products. In 1960 Coca-Cola introduced Sprite, which today is among the worldwide leaders in the lemon-lime soft drink market and ranks in the top 10 among all soft drinks worldwide. Prior to 1999, PepsiCo did not have a product that competed directly against Sprite and had to decide whether to introduce such a soft drink. By not introducing a lemon-lime soft drink, PepsiCo would continue to earn a $200 million profit, and Coca-Cola would continue to earn a $300 million profit.
– Suppose that by introducing a new lemon-lime soft drink, one of two possible strategies could be pursued:
– PepsiCo could trigger a price war with Coca-Cola in both the lemon-lime and cola markets
– Coca-Cola could acquiesce and each firm maintains its current 50/50 split of the cola market and split the lemon-lime market 30/70 (PepsiCo/Coca-Cola).
– If PepsiCo introduced a lemon-lime soft drink and a price war resulted, both companies would earn profits of $100 million. Alternatively, Coca-Cola and PepsiCo would earn $275 million and $227 million, respectively.
– If PepsiCo introduced a lemon-lime soft drink and Coca-Cola acquiesced, they could split the markets.
– Please explain, as a manager at PepsiCo,
– How you can convince your colleagues that introducing the new soft drink is the most profitable strategy by explaining the reasoning and theoretical analysis (Chapter 10 – Problem13).
1. Need to write the assignment in APA 7th edition format.
2. Provide your explanations and definitions in detail and be precise.
3. Comment on your findings.
4. Provide references for content when necessary.
5. Provide your work in detail and explain in your own words.
6. Support your statements with peer-reviewed in-text citation(s) and reference(s).
7. Need to include the information from the textbook as the reference.
8. Need to include at least 2 peer-reviewed articles as the reference.
9. Need to provide examples whenever applicable.
10. Please find the related PowerPoint and textbook in the attachment.
11. Please find the Course Learning Outcome list of this course in the attachment
Ross, S. A., Westerfield, R. W., & Jordan, R. D. (2018). Fundamentals of corporate finance (12th ed.). McGraw-Hill