Securities and Exchange Commission v. Edwards
- Summarize the facts of the case;
- Identify the parties and explain each party’s position;
- Outline the case’s procedural history including any appeals;
- What is the legal issue in question in this case?
- How did the court rule on the legal issue of this case?
- What facts did the court find to be most important in making its decision?
- Respond to the following questions:
- Why was the Supreme Court unwilling to exclude contracts guaranteeing a fixed rate of return from the definition of security?
- Are mortgage notes securities when they are sold with a package of management services and a promise to repurchase the notes in the event of default?
- Do you agree or disagree with the court’s decision? If you disagree, provide an explanation of your reasoning.