Engl essay research comparison essay
Research Paper Instructions
For this assignment, you will write a 1,200–1,500-word Research Paper that traces the evolution of one theme (such as an aspect of religion, society, class, childhood, etc.) over two consecutive literary periods (Neoclassical, Romantic, Victorian, and Modern) by focusing on a comparison of two works, one from each period. The author(s) and work(s) must be selected from those listed on the Course Schedule. Other works from the course may be mentioned, but they must not be the focus. Examine how this theme is treated differently in these two works and connect these observations to an argument about the period’s reaction to (or against) the previous period.
You may not write about the same work you used for the Critical Analysis.
You may use your thread from Discussion Board Forum 3 as a starting off point for your argument; however, you cannot copy and paste it into this assignment.
Do not give a plot summary; this is not a book report. Do not use biographical information unless it is crucial to the development of your thesis.
Research an important topic about the selected works, and use at least 4 secondary scholarly sources plus the primary texts (story, poem, play, essay, etc.) that address the topic. In addition, you may have new sources based on continued research. Websites are not allowed.
- Dictionaries, encyclopedias, the Bible, and introductions from the anthology may certainly be used in this research paper; however, they will not count toward the 4 required sources. They must be listed in your Works Cited/References/Bibliography page, in addition to the 4 secondary sources.
NOTE for this assignment:
- Include a targeted title that suggests the purpose stated in the thesis. The title must not be “Research Paper,” or simply the title of the play, poem, or fiction.
- The essay must be double-spaced, written in Times New Roman 12-point font, and use 1” margins. In addition, format your paper using current MLA, APA, or Turabian format (whichever corresponds to your degree program).
- Document information from the literature through in-text citations and an end-text Works Cited/References/Bibliography page conforming to current MLA, APA, or Turabian format.
- Review the Research Paper Grading Rubric to learn more about how the paper will be graded. Comply with all requirements.
Select two works of the following works from two different eras of time:
Ø Jonathan Swift, “A Modest Proposal”
Ø Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock
Ø Thomas Gray, “Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard”
Ø Samuel Johnson, Rambler No. 4 “On Fiction”
Ø Eliza Haywood, Fantomina
Ø Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, The Turkish Embassy Letters
Ø Frances Burney, The Journal and Letters
Ø From Songs of Innocence:
o “The Lamb,”
o “The Little Black Boy,”
o “The Chimney Sweeper”
Ø From Songs of Experience:
o “The Chimney Sweeper,”
o “The Tyger,”
Ø Vindication of the Rights of Woman
Ø “Lines Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey”
Ø “The World Is Too Much With Us”
Ø “The Rime of the Ancient Mariner”
Ø “Ode to the West Wind”
Ø “The Eve of St. Agnes,”
Ø “La Belle Dame sans Merci”
Ø “Ode to a Nightingale,”
Ø “Ode on a Grecian Urn”
Ø “She walks in beauty”
Ø Childe Harold’s Pilgrimage