Part 1 – Discussion
“Opinions on the War Between the States “
- Explore this week’s Webtext materials then take a stance in regards to the following question: “Does the Civil War have any value in today’s society or is it simply buried in America’s historical past?” Provide support for your stance.
Liberty Challenged in Nineteenth Century America Final Paper
You have already developed a thesis statement and an outline in which you explored the peculiar institution known as slavery. Now you will develop the final paper in which you explore your main points in detail.
- Introduce your paper with your previously crafted thesis statement.
- Describe two (2) outcomes of the 3/5ths Compromise, Missouri Compromise of 1820, Compromise of 1850, Kansas-Nebraska Act, and the Dred Scott Decision. Note: Be sure to provide two (2) outcomes for each legislation.
- Suggest three (3) reasons why slavery was and is incompatible with our political and economic system.
- List three to five (3-5) driving forces that led to the Civil War.
- Use at least three (3) academic references besides or in addition to the textbook. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Recognize the main factors that led to America’s early development.
- Identify and discuss the different ways that the heritages of slavery, the Civil War, and Reconstruction have shaped America’s history.
- Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United States.
- Examine how changes in social and economic conditions and technology can cause corresponding changes in the attitudes of the people and policies of the government.
- Specify ways that women and minorities have responded to challenges and made contributions to American culture.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in American History to 1865.
- Write clearly and concisely about American History to 1865 using proper writing mechanics.
Discovery of America changed the world since it opened up new opportunities where most people could take advantage of to develop their countries. This is the main reason why smith considered it as beneficial to the whole world. a. Determine the three major aspects that demonstrate the old and the new world exchanges There are major aspects that demonstrate that the world has really changed from the old to new. Theses aspects include the changing of the crops that were grown before to the new ones that involve the use of a lot of chemicals for them to make. In the past there was no use of technologies but currently, everything that is done is through technology and that is why there has been a great improvement in the level of production (Bolton, 1933). In the current situations you also find that most of the people have moved to live in urban areas where they can access many resources. b. List five specific groups that were affected by this event. Provide two examples for each cohort describing how they were affected. The affected groups include Africans. Africans benefited in a way that they got to access the new technology and they also got to acquire themselves new products. Americans got to explore their abilities and in the long run they got to place their country in the position of being a superpower. Europeans were also great beneficiaries of this since opportunities opened up for them and they used it in the correct way. They also gained revenue for their countries. Intellectuals were also given a chance to use their knowledge to use technology. In the long run they gained more skills in their areas of work (McKeown, & Beck, 1990). Asian also had an advantage since they were supplied with new products which came in a cheaper price. c. List 5 ways that the creation of new global trade routes affected the occupants and the lifestyles of the average working American in the colonies. There were many impacts that were brought about by this to the occupants. These include interaction and knowing more, acquiring new products, earning revenue for their countries, development in their areas of trade and making their countries superpowers.