A well-written mission statement can provide the momentum and motivation to take a company to the next level. The same is true of personal mission statement. If you thought about yourself as a company, what would you say about yourself? What values drive you? What is your marketing message? What is your reason for doing what you do?
While many organizations have mission statements, few individuals do. What is the purpose of a mission statement? How is it created? What types of things should go into a mission statement?
A lot of thought and reflection should go into the drafting of a mission statement, whether for an organization or an individual. Drafting a personal mission statement forces you to think deeply about your life and your experiences and helps you identify what really matters to you. It also serves to help clarify your values and goals, which then allows you to create a strategic plan for achieving your goals.
Note: Developing a strategic plan requires specific steps that need to be executed in a sequence. The assessments in this course are presented in order and should be completed in sequence.
Develop and write your own personal mission statement. Be clear about your passion, values, goals, and philosophies. Once you have your mission statement articulated, explain how it:
- Expresses your image of yourself.
- Expresses your values and philosophies.
- Identifies what you have to offer.
Explain how your mission statement answers the following questions:
- What are your economic goals?
- What is your philosophy in terms of quality and image?
- What are your core competencies and competitive advantages?
- What “customers” do you serve best?
- How do you view your responsibilities to those who rely on you?
Format this assessment as a research paper, following current APA guidelines for both style and citing sources, making sure that you also use correct grammar and mechanics. There is no required minimum or maximum page length; however, you should strive to be as detailed as possible in addressing each bullet point while also being as clear and concise as possible.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 2: Participate collaboratively and respectfully.
- Explain how a mission statement reflects personal commitment to responsibility.
- Competency 3: Communicate effectively.
- Write coherently to support a central idea in appropriate format with correct grammar, usage, and mechanics.
- Competency 4: Plan strategically.
- Develop a personal mission statement.
- Competency 5: Employ high-performance business management techniques.
- Explain how a mission statement reflects personal philosophy of quality and image.
- Explain how a mission statement reflects personal core competencies.
- Explain how a mission statement reflects personal competitive advantage.
- Explain how a mission statement identifies a target customer.
- Competency 7: Use appropriate financial models and principles.
- Explain how a mission statement reflects personal economic goals.