Assignment: Diagnosis: The Burden of Stigma in Help Seeking
The threat of public stigma, as well as self-stigma, can prevent individuals from receiving the mental health treatment they need. In this Assignment, you analyze the influence of stigma on experiences with and treatment of mental illness.
To prepare: Watch the TED Talk by Sangu Delle and then review the readings for this week. https://www.ted.com/talks/sangu_delle_there_s_no_shame_in_taking_care_of_your_mental_health/transcript
Focus on Delle’s examples illustrating Corrigan’s model about the stages of stigma and the hierarchy of disclosure. Consider Delle’s experience against that model.
By Day 7
Submit 3 pages that addresses the following:
- Briefly explain Corrigan’s model of the stages of stigma and his recommendations and hierarchy about recovery.
- Explain whether Delle’s experience follows that model. Use specific examples to argue your perspective. If you agree, identify which stage of recovery Delle is in.
- Analyze Delle’s reports about his own experiences with both types of stigma. Provide specific examples, and in your analysis consider the following questions:
- Does one type of stigma predominate in his talk?
- Which of Delle’s personal values or beliefs were challenged by his internalizations about his own illness and help-seeking?
- What strengths does he exhibit?
- What was the primary benefit of his diagnosis?
- Do you think his experience would be different if his culture was different? Explain why or why not?