- Week 2 DiscussionDiscussion Topic Due February 24 at 11:59 PMSupporting Lectures:
Refer the following lecture:
- The Role of Social Relevance
- Current Health Status of the Poor
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, make sure you post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
The poor are more likely to suffer from health problems and to die at a younger age as compared to the rich. Studies have shown that the poor have higher levels of health risks and significantly limited access to healthcare. Their health is tied to their livelihood. A portion of the high healthcare costs is related to lack of access to healthcare, and a large portion is related to lack of insurance.
Although improvement has been made in health outcomes, ethnic and racial minorities in the United States continue to experience disproportionate rates of morbidity and mortality due to poor health outcomes.
- Read the report from U.S. Census Bureau Poverty: 2014 and 2015 (American Community Survey Briefs).
- Based on your assigned reading, answer the following questions for discussion:
- Explain at least five steps for applying information about the causes of health disparities associated with poverty to develop health promotion interventions.
- How can a reduction in poverty rates resolve disparities in health and health care?